Monday, June 4, 2007

The Power Of A Smile

It was Saturday morning. My grandfather is no longer able to drive due to various complications, mostly related to advanced age. So, either my dad or I have to take him where he needs to go, whether it be to go shopping or to get a haircut.

Today he has a doctor's appointment. I don't mind taking him so much, until we get to the hospital and sit in the waiting room. And wait. And wait. And wait some more. There are about 80 different things I can think of to do on my day off, and sitting in a waiting room doesn't lie anywhere near the top of the list.

I flip through the magazines that are in the waiting room, and the most interesting one I can find is about scuba diving.

Finally, my grandfather is seen by the doctor and is ready to leave about 15 minutes later. My attitude is somewhere between "pissed that this appointment took so long" and "ready to go home hours ago." I can't see my face at this point, but I imagine "permanent scowl" to be pretty descriptive.

I pull up to the end of the driveway of the hospital and am ready to turn back on the busy street to bring my grandfather home. And that's when I see it.

I see a guy riding a bicycle on the busy street, on the side closest to me. I have to stop early in the driveway, otherwise the front end of my car may be in his way. He sees what I did, and flashes a smile.

Instantly, my attitude changes from anger to happiness. Suddenly, my problems don't seem so big anymore. "The world is a bigger place than you and me," I think to myself.

Today's going to be alright.

2 comments:

gajman said...

critical to see the larger picture in life! so easy to get bogged down by something silly that doesn't really matter at all.

Anonymous said...

a smile definitely brightens the day. someone told me once that a smile is very contagious so smile away :)